As one of the alternatives to buying a Siberian Husky from a breeder, you can instead consider adopting a Husky from an organization or agency. A Siberian Husky Rescue Organization (or Centre) is often a great way to help out an animal in need.
Sometimes owners are unable to look after their animals due to financial or lifestyle changes, sometimes pets are abandoned, and these organizations exist to help match rescued dogs with new owners.
When approaching a rescue center, be mindful that you won’t necessarily be able to pick and choose your Husky. There may only be a few dogs needing assistance. Furthermore, the people running these organizations work hard to make sure the right family takes on each animal – matching things like family structure and lifestyle, location, home environment, and potential for a great outcome.
If selected as a candidate you might take the animal home on a trial basis to see how it works out. Don’t be disappointed if it doesn’t – every dog is different and rescued dogs often have special needs to help them re-socialize or recuperate better. Plus the center would have learned more about you and have a better idea of what kind of Husky would suit your family.
Here is a list of Siberian Husky Rescue Organizations that you can make contact with and find out more about what they do and how you can help. If you are involved in an organization and want to be included, please get in touch with us so we can add you in for free!
- Husky Camp Siberian Husky Rescue (West Cajon Valley, California)
- ARA Canine Rescue inc (Alleys Rescued Angels) (Apple Valley, California)
- Northern California Sled Dog Rescue
- Rescue Every Dog (R.E.D.) (Washington)
- Free Spirit Siberian Rescue
- Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue
- Siberian Husky Rescue of New Mexico
- Texas Husky Rescue
- Arizona Siberian Husky Rescue and Adoption
- Husky House (New Jersey)
This is a work in progress, and a full state-by-state directory of Siberian Husky rescue clubs will come soon. In the meantime, we recommend starting at the Siberian Husky Club of America Rescue site, and in particular, the Rescue Groups page which organizes listings by region.
- Siberian Husky Welfare Association
- Siberian Husky Aid Rescue & Education (SHARE)
- Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain
Are we missing any others? Please contact us so we can include a link.